Through My Eyes: Pediatric Oncologist Explains What You are Helping Create for Kids Fighting Cancer
Written by Dr. Javier Oesterheld, Division chief of the cancer & blood disorders program at Levine Children’s
“Through My Eyes” is a series in which those affected by childhood cancer share a behind-the-scenes look into the ripple effect cancer has in their lives. Our goal is to raise $50,000 for rare pediatric cancer research in the month of September. Become aware, give monthly or donate. [Presented by Atrium Health Levine Children’s]
- Perspective: Pediatric Oncologist
- Name: Dr. Javier Oesterheld
- Hospital: Atrium Health Levine Children’s
On behalf of our entire team, we are so appreciative of your generosity for helping us grow, treat more patients and conduct more research with the ultimate goal of reducing toxic treatments and finding a cure for pediatric cancer. Just some of the recent accomplishments that you’ve helped us achieve:
- Building of the region’s only MIBG therapy suite, to treat children with neuroblastoma and other cancers. This specially designed lead-lined room allows us to safely provide high-dose radiation to the patient, while keeping families in an adjoining suite, close to their little one.
- Creation of a rare and solid tumors program, led by Dr. Giselle Sholler, who you met earlier this week. This program allows families to stay here in Charlotte (or travel here from other places) for the very best care, including the latest treatments, most advanced clinical trials and best care team anywhere (my team won’t brag on themselves, but I will brag on them! They really are the best.)
- Providing smiles and fun for patients and families – it looks a little different these days, but our kids are so appreciative of the joy you bring them, via toy donations, Jersey Mike’s nights and more.
There’s so much more in store with our cancer and blood disorders program at Levine Children’s and ISF.
Today more than ever, we have hope in the future. Thank you for believing in us and supporting us along the journey.
***THROUGH MY EYES: THIS IS CHILDHOOD CANCER SERIES
8.26: A Glimpse into Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
8.30: Cancer Free & Living Her Dreams
8.31: Through My Eyes: This is Childhood Cancer
9.1: How Did “Through My Eyes” Start?
9.2: Through My Eyes: Cancer Family Finds Light During Daughter’s Neuroblastoma Journey
9.7: Through My Eyes: Week 1 Results
9.8: Through My Eyes: Cancer Parents Facing the Unimaginable… Twice.
9.10: Through My Eyes: Pediatric Brain Cancer Warrior Mom Manages Unusual Balancing Act Among Siblings
9.13: Through My Eyes: Week 2 Recap
9.15: Through My Eyes: Osteosarcoma Survivor Thrives in College After Battling Cancer
9.17: Through My Eyes: 15 Years Old & Fighting Cancer
9.20: Through My Eyes: Week 3 Recap
9.21: Through My Eyes: Pediatric Oncologist Working to Change Outcomes for High-Risk Pediatric Cancer Patients
9.22: Through My Eyes: Pediatric Oncology Staff Dedicated to Kids Fighting Cancer