The ISF Skinny
In partnership with ScoopCharlotte.com
“My first May with her and my last May with her.” This month is always a gut check… next week Isabella will have been gone the same amount of years she was alive. 7 years. On June 28th Isabella took her last breath. It’s actually a little scary that we are about to pass the time she has been gone than the actual time she had on this earth. We are feeling good and positive about what’s on the horizon. We are confident we are making a dent in this ugly thing called childhood cancer, but we can’t continue to do so without your support! Thank you to all our family, volunteers, supporters, sponsors, partners and community businesses that inspire us to continue forward!
Executive Director Dish
Wow. Running a little late this month. Every month seems to fly by faster and faster. Our May was full of events that kept us busy and like most events, they drain us, so we take a little time after to recoup. I loved everything about May as we turned our focus to the Moms who are currently in the fight of their lives with their children and their stories. I think sometimes we forget just how many families in this area need us. Our Defining Support, The
Cancer Warrior Mom Series was one of the best series we have done to date. We asked these Moms to talk about their struggles, how they define support and what organizations like ours mean to them as they go through treatment.
Coffees, Anniversary of Isabella’s passing next week, Platelet Drive, Brunch & Run… New presenting race sponsor (ohh who could that be), Tito’s Vodka… wait, did I just say Tito’s Vodka. Have to read the full update…
Watch For It
PLATELET DRIVE: Schedule to donate platelets (or blood) during our week-long platelet drive with Community Blood Center of the Carolinas – OneBlood June 23-29. ONLINE: oneblood.org/Isabella or CALL: 1.888.9DONATE (1.888.936.6283)
5k/10K FOR KIDS CANCER: Same race, added yumminess. Join us on Saturday, September 28 for the 12th annual 5K/10K For Kids Cancer event. Work up a sweat and get hungry with our 5K, 10K or Fun Run followed by a NEW Brunch option with a selection of Charlotte’s tasty eats and drinks. Register before July 1 to receive the brunch experience FREE (includes race entry, brunch & 2 drink tickets). Register here: 5kforkidscancer.com. Thank you to our sponsors:
- Presenting: Red Ventures (ACKK we are so excited!)
- Brunch: Firebirds + Tito’s Vodka + NoDa Brewing (oh yeah!)
- Fun Run: Atrium Health’s Levine Children’s Hospital
- Medal: OneBlood
- Kid’s T-Shirt: Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat
- Platinum: Lending Tree, Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation
- Gold: Small Hands Big Heart, Scoopcharlotte.com, Northwood, Modern Nissan of Lake Norman, MassMutual Carolinas, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Brighthouse Financial
- Silver: Arborscapes, Burger 21, College Sitters, CPI Security, Dickens Mitchener, ESP, Soccer Shots, Tom Bush Law Group, TowneBank, YMCA
Lorenzo’s Pizza Give Back DaySeptember 23 @ 11:00 am - 9:00 pmLorenzo’s Pizza
12th Annual 5K, 10K & Fun Run for Kids Cancer presented by Red VenturesSeptember 28 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 amBallantyne Corporate Park
ISF Pumpkin Charity BallOctober 26 @ 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm$150.00 - The Ritz Carlton, Charlotte
Handbags, Heels & HorsepowerNovember 21 @ 8:00 am - 11:30 am$45.00 - Charlotte Convention Center
Top 5 ways you can help us this month… we need your help in spreading awareness to SPARK action.
- Follow us on Instagram & Facebook. Share our posts, the only way to bring awareness to spark action is for MORE people to talk about it!
- Become a sponsor for our 5K/10K For Kids Cancer Event. With our new Run & Brunch addition, you don’t want to miss being involved. Multiple sponsor levels are available. Contact Karen to discuss opportunities.
- Create a fundraiser for your business, get creative! Engage your employees. Thank you to JE Dunn Construction & Brixx Wood Fired Pizza for their fundraisers in May totaling $25,000 for rare pediatric cancer!
- Purchase Cancer Messed With gear. Bulk orders available with the ability to customize your message. Oncology groups have purchased to wear as part of their uniforms with scrubs. Nonprofits have ordered for their team and families have bought to support as a group. Proceeds benefit pediatric cancer research.
- Add your name to our Volunteer database. With our biggest event of the year coming up, 5K/10K For Kids Cancer, we will need all kinds of volunteers to bring a fun time for everyone.