THE ISF SKINNY
MARCH EDITION It’s Isabella’s birthday month, she would be turning 14 on Saturday, March 9th. She would be in middle school. She would most likely be into boys. She would be squabbling with her siblings at home and meeting friends at the movies. There is no question Isabella’s life was cut too short, but there is also no question that her legacy is creating hope for so many. Lots going on in March with many ways for you to get involved and help make an impact. We hope you will donate blood, attend one of the events below, eat lots of Jersey Mike’s subs or reach out to talk about how your business can get involved. Check back monthly and get THE SKINNY on what’s happening in and around the foundation.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DISH
While I knew this event was going to bring great awareness to ISF, it was difficult for me to fundraise. The competitive nature of who I am just couldn’t shake it but my team kept assuring me where I fell in the fundraising was not the most important reason why I was doing this. Bringing awareness to the foundation and what we are doing for kids fighting cancer was the primary reason. In the end, I raised just over $86,000 and approximately $35,000 will come back to our organization, which we are very grateful for. I know many of our supporters were hesitant to donate because you would have preferred for 100% of your donation to come to ISF. We get that. And for those of you who wanted to support and have your entire donation go to us, I would love for you to donate to Isabella’s Wish Fundraiser to help us reach our $6,000 fundraising goal to gift to Make-A-Wish for a wish trip. Did you see my latest blog about spending time with Sydney, the wish child we helped fund last year? Incredibly surreal. [Read Erin’s full update]
- A Cancer Mom’s Favorite Lame Excuses for Why People Can’t Give Blood. Tell a mom whose child passed away from cancer you can’t give blood… she will reply back with a snarky remark. Enjoy Erin’s roundup of all time favorite lame excuses why people can’t give blood…
The Impact of Losing a Best Friend. It seems only fitting that one of the March 9 community blood drives will be hosted by Stephanie Foreman, the mother of Isabella’s best friend, Soleil. The impact of Isabella’s passing still affects Soleil today, but through events like the blood drive, she is able to see how much good has come from her life.
- Isabella would have been 14. 6 years ago you couldn’t pay Erin to sit and have coffee with a little girl who beat cancer and was also Isabella’s age. But she did. And it was with the girl who we helped fund her Make-A-Wish trip to go to London last year.
Isabella’s Birthday Wish Fundraiser. We can’t think of a better gift than to honor another child’s wish in honor of Isabella’s life. It is our goal to raise $6,000 in 14 days for what would have been Isabella’s 14th birthday.
Melting Pot March Fondue Raiser Benefiting Isabella Santos Foundation. Head to Melting Pot for Fondue for a Difference! During the month of March, when you order from their Ultimate Fondue for Two menu, $4 from every meal will be donated back to the Isabella Santos Foundation to help fight rare pediatric cancer.
- The Charlotte Podcast: The Audacious Goals of the Isabella Santos Foundation. Thanks to The Charlotte Podcast for having our Executive Director, Erin Santos, and our Marketing Director, Rachel Wood, on air to talk about ISF. We have lots of big things coming up and need every bit of our community to get involved.
Fighting Pediatric Cancer: Madison’s Story. After almost a year ago of being diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a rare pediatric bone cancer, Madison received the news she has been fighting so hard to hear at her 3 months scan yesterday from Dr. Oesterheld. SHE BEAT CANCER. Read her story.
Community Blood Drives to Honor Isabella Santos – March 9. We are teaming up with Community Blood Center of the Carolinas to bring you our largest blood drive ever in honor of Isabella’s birthday on March 9th.
Isabella Santos Foundation’s Executive Director Receives Women in Business Honor. Congratulations to our always real and never boring leader, Erin Santos, for being a recipient of the Charlotte Business Journal’s Women in Business. She might have cussed a bit on stage and she rarely apologizes for ‘being aggressive’ for those fighting cancer… but we are so proud that she won’t stop pushing the needle for kids fighting cancer.
- Cancer Journey Leads to Brotherly Bond. A big supporter of the Isabella Santos Foundation, KJ Brent jumped on the opportunity to become a mentoring big brother to 10-year-old Dyson who was fighting cancer.
Spreading Love to Everyone #CancerMessedWith. Thank you to everyone who helped us spread love to those #cancermessedwith. Social posts across the city took over, see our SPREAD LOVE video recap.
- February Skinny Edition. Missed the first ISF SKINNY? Check out what all was happening at the beginning of 2019.
WATCH FOR IT
Stay tuned… our site is getting an overhaul and we are updating it with all 2019 event information, resources and content. We want to bring you stories. Stories of kids and families battling cancer. Stories of our incredible community. Stories of individuals and companies making a difference. Our goal is to be a simple resource, a place to give the facts and ways you can help us make an impact. Thank you for your patience. In the meantime, please let us know if you are interested in a specific event, want to talk about individual or business involvement, or simply have a question about our foundation.
Thank you to our local community businesses who re-signed with ISF in February Your support over the last several years means the world to us. We really love the true partnership we have built with each of these businesses:
- Scoop Charlotte (Make sure to subscribe to get the Scoop)
- Atrium Health Levine Children’s
- Modern Nissan of Lake Norman
2019 ISF Events:
- CBCC/ISF Blood Drive in honor of Isabella’s life: March 9
- Cultivate & Educate City Club Networking Event, March 28
- May Day Coffee, May 1
- Duke Mansion Coffee & Cocktails, May 15 & 16
- 12th Annual 5k/10K for Kids Cancer, Sept 28
- 2nd Annual Pumpkin Charity Ball, Oct 26
Upcoming Community Partner Events:
We ask for money a lot, but there are so many ways to help us in our mission. We can’t do what we do without you helping us share, spread, introduce and believe. March is big. Be part of it…
- Schedule a Blood Donation Appointment for Saturday
- Donate to Help Fund a Wish in honor of Isabella’s Birthday
- Eat Jersey Mike’s Subs this month like it’s your job
- Eat at Melting Pot for their March Fondue Raiser
- Become a Sponsor
- Follow CMW on Social Media
- Purchase a CMW Shirt to Support Someone You Know
- Follow, Like, Share & Comment on our ISF Social Posts: ISF Facebook, ISF Instagram, ISF LinkedIn
- Become an Ambassador for ISF
- Reach out to us! Have an idea, what to get involved?
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
We can't make a difference for kids fighting cancer without you. Join us and help us make an impact.